Saturday 13 June 2009

Wrap-up from Finland

Well, the World Cup in Finland is over. The final two races (Middle and Sprint distances) were a definite improvement for me. Although the final placings on each event weren't great, I was still quite happy with the improvement in my orienteering technique compared to the Long distance race.

On the middle, I had a fair run, with few mistakes (no major ones) and a slightly faster running speed in the forest. The GPS tracking for Nordic Champs / World Cup allowed for some great internet spectating, but also for some good post-race analysis for the runners.

Below is a section of my GPS route over the first 4 controls. Although I had good contact with the map and was always aware of my exact position, it's clear that I now need to focus on running more directly, rather then bouncing around like a pinball.


The GPS tracking system that was used at NOC is a superb development for orienteering. Competitors could be tracked live over the internet. The tracking also allows a spectator to analyse every competitors route in elapsed start intervals or head-to-head with a mass start.

Results, split times and the GPS tracking for all the NOC races can be found here.

As predicted, the Sprint Qualification was fast and furious. With 33 runners in each heat and only 11 going through to the final, you needed to finish within 27 - 36 seconds of the heat winner to make it through!

As also predicted, I was never in with a chance. I would not have put money on myself, even with odds of 100-1. I ran a pretty clean race, with a 30 second route choice error to # 2 and a double back leaving # 15 (10 seconds), but I was still 4 minutes off.


I thus joined the crowds in the central market place in Salo to watch the Sprint Final later in the day. Once again, a great PR exercise with live television coverage incorporating the GPS tracking on display at the finish. There were some great performances from the world's best, and some very tight competition once again. It was interesting to note that none of the 34 men in the final caught the person stating just 1 minute ahead.


With Finland over, I can now focus once again on the World Games in July and World Champs in August. Finland was a good tester to see where my orienteering ability was against some tough international competition. I've come away from it feeling reasonably positive and fully aware of my weaknesses.

Up Next
The South African National Team still has various events coming up this year. First however, the Junior Team (their blog is here travel to Italy to compete in the Junior World Champs, 5 - 12 July. The Senior team however first compete in the World Games (17 - 19 July) in Taiwan and then the World Champs (15 - 23 August) in Hungary. We'll have more blog postings on these competitions in the coming months.

Nicholas Mulder

No comments: