Tuesday 9 June 2009

Nordic Champs

, Well, the first half of Nordic Champs in Salo, Finland is over. The Long distance took place on Saturday and the Relay on Sunday. The region around Salo is simply beautiful!


I had a so-so run at the Long. The terrain is very complex, and the GPS tracking of various athletes showed some major mistakes, even amongst the worlds best. I had 2 major mistakes, one of 10 minutes and another of 5 minutes. Then there were lots of smaller mistakes within the control circle at various controls.

Looking at the bright side, it could have been worse. I at least had some decent legs, particularly towards the end of the course when I got used to the map and when my endurance stamina was still going strong. My running speed on the terrain is still poor however, and this is one item I will need to focus on at the Middle distance.

Results, split times and GPS tracking for the race is available here.


As I'm the only South African here, I got to watch the relay from the side lines. Fascinating stuff once again. Sweden seem to be in very strong form at the moment, in both mens and womens as well as the junior categories. Some countries managed to field 2 or 3 relay teams, with the 'B' teams quite often giving their 'A' team compatriots a good run for their money.

The GBR mens team where one of those.


There are 2 races left. On Tuesday we have the Middle distance, where I hope to improve my performance. Then on Wednesday it is the Sprint, which will take place in and around the suburbs of Salo. It will be fast!

Nicholas Mulder

No comments: