Tuesday 30 July 2013

Rugby 7's, some new sports and the Finns

Today I woke up just before six to go and have a shortish run with the physio along the river. The idea was just to stretch the legs and get used to the temperature here. It isn't that hot at that time, but it's still good practice.

We waited at the hotel until around 10 o clock before setting off with the rugby guys to their training area. The management team here didn't really have a track organised for me so I decided to travel with the rugby guys in the hope that I could use the fields for my session. There was good news as there happened to be a tar track (with marked distances) right next to their training area. I warmed up by running around the entire area and happened to notice that there was a really nice tartan track just over the fence. Not wanting to damage my legs on the tar, we set off to find our way in. This didn't prove too difficult and I ended up completing a good final track session before the races on friday.

Tania and I decided to watch some of the other sports and so we took a taxi to the stadium. Some nervous moments followed as we watched the number on the taxi tick up (to 70 at one point), we thought that we might not be able to afford the trip. Turned out that this wasn't the value in Pesos :). Ultimate frisbee between USA and Japan was a really great game to watch and then we went to watch some Jujitsu. I am still not quite sure of the exact rules...

Coming back to our hotel we found Minna and Maria sitting around waiting for the bus. They needed to go to the catering center which is 15 minutes away. We have spoken to Jean and she said that we may be allowed to just have our meals at the hotel with the rest of the SA team. It doesn't make sense to rely on the official bus system here and travel so far away for food.

Minna didn't have any idea of the terrain or even where the sprint will be held so I am certainly at an advantage. Most of the athletes should arrive tomorrow and wednesday. I'm fast and over any remnants of jet lag that may have remained after the long flights.

Bring on friday and saturday!

Colombian Coffee

Sevens training session

No comments: